Lodging in CR

If you find your way to CR, like dogs, prefer non-traditional lodging and enjoy getting off the beaten path, I strongly recommend staying at the Lighthouse in Atenas. Pictures do not do justice. Frances and Bruce welcome you as family. For me, it's a great way to completely unwind. See more at their Airbnb page.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Horses, Volcanoes and Water









It's been an action-filled three days since Christmas.  Bob and I started the day at a spinning class.  He really didn't care for it, and didn't go back with me this morning.  No doubt, the facilities are not the standards he is used to, but I appreciate that the basics are really all you need for a good workout.  Here's a few pictures of the spinning room and our instructor, Paolo, showing us that 10 minutes of good form and effort is better than 2 hours of bad form.


After this, Bob and I caught a bus to San Jose for their annual El Tope parade.  This is a huge event with over 3000 horses (takes about 7 hours), music and dance.  The horses do high-stepping.  I'll be putting some video together for this, as the pictures don't do justice, but here they are anyway:




The bus itself was a good experience (and cost less than $1).  I think Bob and I both love the feeling of independence of being able to walk to town and catch a bus to and from San Jose.  Walter and his mom spent the afternoon together still trying to get a handle on the medical stuff.  The medical system here, like in the states, can be really atrocious for those with less means financial as well as functional.

On Tuesday, the 27th, Walter, Bob and I took a ride up to Poas Volcano National Park.  This is about 18 miles up the mountains from Alajuela.  It is often the case that no matter how clear the valley is, Poas can be cloudy and rainy, but not today.  Walter said he has never seen it so clear.  It was spectacular.  The drive up included a stop at a coffee plantation/tourist trap, where bob and I got on an old coffee bean cart.


  Then it was on to the park.  The system here can be a bit screwy.  There is only one lane entrance to the park that everyone has to go through in order to pay.  Thankfully we were early enough that it only took 10 minutes (as we were leaving, it was long as people also had to wait for others to leave).  It was well worth it, though.  A short 20 minute walk up a paved path leads to the volcano, and then a longer and more rigorous walk loops around to a crater lake from an older volcano.
Bob is in the shadows, a safe distance from the edge


Hike between volcano and lake



The local flora
When we got back, we all pitched in to help with Flor's garden which she takes great pride in.  

   
We capped the day off with dinner at some folks we met Christmas day, Sergio and Natalia.
Notice dog in my jacket









 Then, today, for a bit of a change of scenery, Bob and I are staying back in Atenas at Apartmentos Atenas.  We have a bungalow for the night, as Walter and his mom spend some time together (she is feeling much better today).  This is just down the hill from the Lighthouse (where I stayed the first week).  We took a hike (Bob was a trooper - not a happy trooper, but a trooper none-the-less) to a waterfall.
Hiking down

Hiking up
A few other views of Apartmentos Atenas:






Our bungalow

After this, we came back and laid by the pool.  Here's Bob demonstrating how to get on a float (this was actually the second attempt).  I want it duly noted that I promised Bob I would not push him in or flip him from the float, and kept my promise - notice my feet.  However, I do have to admit that not doing anything and still watching the flip AND catching it on camera brought great joy!  No worries, however, as Bob demonstrated his usual ability to overcome the odds and conquer the situation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment